Identifies and solves technical issues related to the power grid
- What they do: Plan, design, and complete projects that build and improve our nation’s energy infrastructure
- Training/ education needed: Bachelor of Science degree from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) Program
- National average salary: $97,000 per year
Works below the Earth’s surface to reliably and efficiently power communities
- What they do: Lay pipe for steam and/or gas mains for the smooth operation of both electric and gas utilities
- Training/education needed: On the job training and able to obtain Commercial Driver’s License/permit (CDL)
- National average salary: $61,000 per year
Heroes in the sky delivering power to communities
- What they do: Build, maintain, and repair power lines
- Training/education needed: On the job training, Lineworker training program, and able to obtain Commercial Driver’s License/permit (CDL)
- National average salary: $65,000 per year
Career Pathways Roadmap
Energy jobs are both challenging and rewarding with competitive compensation and professional growth in a growing industry. The Career Pathways Roadmap provides a career pathway and detailed information for a variety of energy positions.
Energy Career Toolkit
Interested in employment in the energy industry? Find out more about taking your next steps. The Get Into Energy career toolkit provides you with the information on benefits, interviewing, preparing for pre-employment testing and more.